artist, curator, teacher, writer & judge
13 January – 14 February 2018
Official opening 2pm Saturday 13 January by Rachaeldaisy
Artist Lecture: Driven to Abstraction: 11am Tuesday 23 January
RSVP: +612 4304 7550 or email@example.com
Gosford Regional Gallery: open daily 10am-4pm
Abstract textile paintings by Brenda Gael Smith inspired by the natural world. Includes Copa Abstractions, a special collection of textile sketches celebrating the artist’s surroundings at Copacabana, NSW.
- May 2015-November 2017: Curator, a matter of time travelling textile art exhibiton
- June 2013-September 2015: Curator, Living Colour! travelling textile art exhibition;
- 18-21 September 2014: Curator, Australia Quilts at Carrefour Européen du Patchwork/European Patchwork Meeting – exceptional quilts from the Great Southern Land;
- July 2011-September 2013: Curator, Beneath the Southern Sky travelling exhibition of textile works; and
- 2012: Guest artist at the Craft & Sewing Shows throughout Australia and in Auckland.
- 2007-2012: Twelve by Twelve: The International Art Quilt Challenge
- Modern Quilt Show Australia 2017 Blue Delphiniums
- Gosford Art Prize 2017 High Country Lupins #5
- Dare to Differ 2017 Blue Delphiniums and Landlines: Tussock Country
- Art Quilt Australia 2017 Flourish!
- Modern Quilt Show Australia 2016: Secret Women’s Business – Only Women Bleed
- Gallery Collection in Miniature: Wangaratta Art Gallery High Country Lupins #2
- PETITE Miniature TEXTILES 2016: Wangaratta Art Gallery, Victoria – Dyad#2 and Wild Lupins #3
- Art Quilt Elements 2016 Wayne Art Center, Pennsylvania, USA, High Country Lupins #3
- Golden Textures at Quilt Expo at Beaujolais Dreamlines #5
- Tasmanian Art Quilt Prize 2015 History, Her Story: Secret Women’s Business – Only Women Bleed
- 2015 China International Patchwork Invitational Tournament and Patchwork Arts Show in Beijing, China.
- Art Quilt Australia 2015: National Wool Museum, Geelong: Flying Colours: Galah Gala and Wild Lupins #2
- Dare to Differ 2015: Gallery M, Adelaide: Kelp Forest and Landlines: A River Runs Through It
- Gosford Art Prize 2015 Finalist: Gosford Regional Regional Gallery – Forest and Tundra
- Evolution, Change, Challenge: A Contemporary Quilt at Hazelhurst Gallery
- Golden Textures of Australia at Festival of Quilts, Birmingham
- Reconciliation 2015: Gosford Regional Art Gallery: Canberra:Meeting Place
- Golden Textures 2015 Contemporary Art Quilt Exhibition, Central Goldfields Art Gallery, Maryborough, Victoria – High Country Lupins #3
- Quilts=Art=Quilts 2014, Schweinfurth Memorial Art Center, Auburn, NY: Desert Tracks: Not Terra Nullius
- Australia Wide Four (2014-2016): a travelling exhibition of Ozquilt Network Inc – Neptune’s Necklace #2
- Progressions 2014: Toowoomba Regional Art Gallery: Tundra and Forest
- Australia Quilts: European Patchwork Meeting 2014 guest country exhibition
- Reconciliation 2014: Gosford Regional Art Gallery: Desert Tracks: Not Terra Nullius
- PETITE Miniature TEXTILES 2014: Wangaratta exhibitions Gallery, Victoria – High Country Lupins #2
- Art Quilt Australia 2013: People Place & Nation: CraftACT, Canberra: Desert Tracks: Not Terra Nullius and Canberra: Meeting Place;
- Brother International Quilting Contest 2013 – Eco Challenge: Forest;
- Dare to Differ 2013: Gallery M, Adelaide: Flying Colours: Eclectus Parrots;
- FREE – AQC Challenge 2013: Flying Colours: Uncaged
- Golden Textures Contemporary Art Quilt Exhibition, Central Goldfields Art Gallery, Maryborough, Victoria April 2013 – Dreamlines #5;
- Australia Wide Three (2012-2014): a travelling exhibition of Ozquilt Network Inc –Wild Lupins and Flying Colours: Crimson Rosella;
- Gosford Art Prize 2012 Finalist: Gosford Regional Regional Gallery – Hope, Promise, Bounty: Reap What You Sew;
- PETITE Miniature TEXTILES 2012: Wangaratta exhibitions Gallery, Victoria – Pyrenees #3, Poppy Field
- Regeneration: Contemporary Quilt Textiles 2012: Manly Art Gallery & Museum, Sydney, Regrowth and Hope, Promise, Bounty: Reap What You Sew;
- Selections from the Del Thomas Contemporary Quilt Collection 2012: Visions Art Gallery, San Diego, Evergreen
- Dare to Differ 2011: Gallery M – Marion Cultural Centre, Desire Lines#5: After the Rain and Turf
- Seven Deadly Sins – AP&Q AQC Challenge 2011: Desire Lines #7: Lust in the Log Cabin
- One Step Further 2010: Whitehorse Art Space, Box Hill, Victoria – Desire Lines#6: Spark! and Shining Through
- Australia Wide Two (2010-2012):a travelling exhibition of Ozquilt Network Inc – Tussock
- The New Quilt 2010: Manly Art Gallery & Museum, Sydney, New South Wales Desire Lines#5: After the Rain and Turf
- PETITE Miniature TEXTILES 2010: Wangaratta exhibitions Gallery, Victoria – Milk Chocolate
- Remember – AP&Q AQC Challenge 2010: Timelines #1: Remember the Date!
- One Step Further 2009: Central Goldfields Art Gallery, Victoria Desire Lines #3: Running Hot & Cold
- Fantasy – AP&Q AQC Challenge 2009: Dreamlines #1: Magic Carpet
- Re-fabricating Environments 2008: Braemar Gallery, Springwood NSW – Afterglow and Acacia Bloom
- Dare to Differ 2008: Prospect Gallery, Adelaide, SA – Grass
- My Place travelling exhibition (2008-2010): Tudibaring – Place where the waves pound like a beating heart.
Twelve by Twelve International Exhibition Program
- April 2010Australasian Quilt Convention, Melbourne, Australia
- May 2010 Gosford Regional Gallery, NSW Australia
- June 2010 Textile Art Festival, Brisbane, Queensland
- September 2010 Craft & Quilt Fair, Hamilton, New Zealand
- September 2010 Craft & Quilt Fair, Christchurch, NZ
- April 2011 Midsomer Quilting, Chilcompton, UK
- August 2011 Festival of Quilts, Birmingham, UK
- November 2011 International Quilt Festival, Houston, USA
- April 2012 International Quilt Festival, Cincinnati, USA
- July 2012 International Quilt Festival, Long Beach, USA
- September 2012 North West Quilting Expo, Portland, Oregon, USA
- February 2012 Craft & Quilt Fair, Palmerston North, New Zealand (Colourplay)
- April 2013 Australasian Quilt Convention. Melbourne, Australia (Colourplay)
- May 2012 Pinnacles Gallery, Townsville Australia (Colourplay)
- July 2013 Midsomer Quilting, Chilcompton, UK (Colourplay)
- August 2013 AQS Quilt Show, Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA (Colourplay)
- September 2013 North West Quilting Expo, Portland, Oregon, USA (2012 Series)
- October 2013 AQS Quilt Show, Des Moines, Iowa, USA (Colourplay)
- September 2014 European Patchwork Meeting/Carrefour Européen du Patchwork (Colourplay)
- October 2014 Association Belge du Patchwork exhibition (Colourplay)
Selected Bibliography & Videography
- Twelve by Twelve: The International Art Quilt Challenge published by Lark Books, March 2011. Co-author.
- 1000 Quilt Inspirations published by Quarry Books (2015), Contributor
- 500 Art Quilts published by Lark Books (2010). Contributor.
- 1000 Artisan Textiles published by Rockport (2010). Contributor.
- Art Quilt Studio, Summer 2013 – Piece de Resistance – Karamatsu Shibori
- Modern Quilts: Improvising Using Stacks of Solids, instructional DVD and article Quilters Companion, December 2012.
- Quilting Arts magazine (February-March 2012) celebrates art quilt collaboration and includes an in-depth Q&A article about the Twelve by Twelve project.
- Patchwork- und Quiltjournal (February 2012) celebrates its 20th anniversary with a special edition. It includes an article about the Twelve by Twelve exhibition of the Theme Series at Festival of Quilts in Birmingham in 2011.
- More than thirty projects in Australian magazines such as Australian Patchwork & Quilting, Down Under Quilts, Quilters Companion, Down Under Textiles, Australian Homespun and Australian Country Craft
- Four Fantastic Quilt Finishing Techniques, instructional DVD and article Quilters Companion, May 2009.
- Meet A Quilter Profiles, Down Under Quilts, March 2006 & Homespun, October 2008.
- By the Dozen, profile of the Twelve by Twelve Collaborative Art Quilt Project, Quilters Companion, November 2008.
- Global Quilting, profile of the Twelve by Twelve Collaborative Art Quilt Project, Down Under Quilts, November 2008.
Prizes & Awards
- November 2017: Blue Delphiniums 2nd Prize Small Quilt Modern Quilt Show Australia 2017
- June 2017: Landlines: Tussock Country Judges’ Commendation, Art Quilt (Open) Category Sydney Quilt Show
- August 2015: Flying Colours: Galah Gala Third Prize Wall Quilt (Professional) and High Country Lupins #3 Judges Commendation Art Quilt (Open) category, Canberra Quilters Exhibition.
- June 2015: Dreamlines #7: Dreaming in Colour Third prize, Small/Wall Quilt (Professional ) category, Sydney Quilt Show.
- September 2013: Flying Colours: Eclectus Parrots Second prize, Art Quilt (Open) category, Canberra Quilters Exhibition.
- August 2011: Lorikeet – Dreaming First prize, Tiny Treasures, Canberra Quilters Exhibition.
- June 2009: Dreamlines #3 – First prize, Art Quilt (Open) Sydney Quilt Show
- June 2009: Savannah -First prize New Traditions from Old Favourites
- September 2009: Acacia Bloom– Second Prize Art/Pictorial Category Australian Machine Quilters Association Show
- August 2009: Rose Moderne – Third prize, Tiny Treasures Canberra Quilters Exhibition
- August 2008: Acacia Bloom – 1st prize, Mixed Media Quilt (Open), Canberra Quilters’ Exhibition
- June 2006: Making Waves – 1st prize, New Interpretations of a Traditional Block (Amateur), Sydney Quilt Show
- Creative Skills Certificate – Patchwork & Quilting 7802-10, The City & Guilds of London Institute (July 2004).
- Judging Skills Certificate awarded by Jeannie Spears, NQACJ (November 2007).
- Quilt NSW Judging Education Pilot Program (2014-date)
- 2017 National Quilt Symposium, Christchurch, New Zealand – chief judge and juror
- 2016 Festival of Quilts, The Quilters’ Guild of South Australia Inc
- 2014 Sydney Quilt Show, The Quilters’ Guild of NSW Inc
- 2014 QuiltWest, The West Australian Quilters Association Inc
- 2013 Festival of Quilts, Auckland Quilt Guild
- 2012 Pearl Challenge, 30th anniversary challenge of The Quilters’ Guild of NSW Inc
- 2010 Quilters Showcase, Victorian Quilters Inc
Memberships & Associations
- QuiltNSW – Exhibition Secretary (2005-2007), Sponsorship & Publicity (2010), Webmaster and Quilt Show Subcommittee (2005-date); and Convenor, Judging Education Pilot Program (2015-date).
- Ozquilt Network Inc – Secretary (2008-2010), Website Subcommittee (2007-date) and Exhibiton Subcommittee (2015-date).
- Modern Quilt Guild (2015-date)
- Studio Art Quilts Associates
- Canberra Quilters Inc – Blog Administrator (2007-2013).