I create textile paintings and sketches made from a rich palette of my hand-dyed fabrics complemented by extensive, textural stitching demonstrating the transformative power of stitch. Abstraction is a persistent and insistent force. Working improvisationally, I capture the essence of my subjects to impart a sense of wonder of the natural world and a strong affinity to place.
Daily walks are a creative habit integral to my studio practice whether I am home or travelling. By closely observing my surroundings, and taking hundreds of photos, I have a bountiful inspiration bank that informs my work. I also embrace the serendipity factor. From the dye pot, to the design wall, to the sewing machine, I am always open to the possibility of a glorious accident.
Join Brenda in 2022 for 3-hour live, interactive workshops optimised for Zoom:
• FUNdamentally Circles: 6-9am Thursday 3 February
• FUNdamentally Circles: 9am-12noon Saturday 12 February
• Beyond FUNdamentally Circles: 6-9am Thursday 3 March
• Geometricks: 6-9am Thursday 10 March
• Geometricks: 9am-12 noon Saturday 12 March
• Strip Ease: 5-8am Thursday 7 April
• Line Dancing: 5-8am Thursday 19 May
• The X Factor: 5-8am Thursday 2 June
• Abstraction in Action Group One: 10, 11 & 24 Feb and 24 March from 6am
• Abstraction in Action Group Two: 7, 8 & 21 May and 18 June from 5pm (good for Europe)
Check out the Global Quilt Connection which showcases teachers from around the world available for virtual workshops, on-demand classes and presentations.
Brenda Gael Smith
Contemporary Textile Art
PO Box 4033, Copacabana
NSW 2251 Australia
Tel: +61 412530190
Sign up for periodic updates from my studio - new artwork, exhibitions, workshops, tutorials and other news
2 October – 4 December 2021: View Centre of the Arts & Culture
23 October 2020 – 9 January 2022: Schweinfurth Art Center NY
until 14 November 2021: Yarra Ranges Regional Museum
25 September – 7 November: Bunbury Museum & Heritage Centre